My Top 10 Chick Flicks
(In no particular order, just your most basic chick flick)
1a. Pride and Prejudice
– The BBC mini-series with Colin Firth, not the horrible one with Keira Knightley. The costumes are to die for. 🙂
1b. Bridget Jones’ Diary
– I tied this up with P&P because this is a modernization of the novel. With Colin Firth as Darcy. AGAIN. This should take numbers 1 to 5, but I have too many chick flicks in mind to give it all to Mr. Darcy, so I gave him number one. As he is in my heart. 😀
2. The Proposal
– I love Sandra Bullock. I think she’s funny and hot, like a younger and prettier Julia Roberts, with a smaller mouth. And Ryan Reynolds, pre-Blake Lively, is just. No. Words. Anyway, I liked the story- it focused on family and living simply. People get so focused with work and getting the things they want that they often forget the basic things in life.
– this is my favorite Audrey Hepburn movie, the fact that this also stars Humphrey Bogart is an added bonus. The daughter of the family chauffuer + 2 dashing brothers = the stuff Mara Clara/Anna Luna/Maria La Del Barrio is made of. Still. This makes me all warm and fuzzy through the credits.
4. Sixteen Candles
– Aw, Jake. You find out that the guy you’ve been crushing on knows you exist and he’s also interested in you. And! He comes bearing cake after a super shitty day. Teenage dream come true.
5. Legally Blonde
– I don’t know anyone who hasn’t tried to Bend and Snap after watching this movie. This is the story of triumph and- well alright, I liked all the pink.
6. When Harry Met Sally
– Can men and women just be friends and nothing more? I don’t think the end of the movie confirmed Sally’s argument, but who doesn’t want to watch Meg Ryan fake-orgasm in the middle of a crowded diner?
7. Drive Me Crazy
– I have probably seen this flick as many times as I’ve been to the dentist. I honestly cannot defend myself- Adrian Grenier, Melissa Joan Hart to a Britney Spears soundtrack- I have no defense. I love it.
8. 10 Things I Hate About You
– AKA The Taming of the Shrew, High School version with JGL and a non-crazy, singing Heath Ledger. I don’t think I need to say more.
9. Cruel Intentions
– Aside from the eye candy, I loved the soundtrack. Okay, maybe mainly Ryan Philippe. And Selma Blair, she’s so pretty.
10. Love Actually
– Yes, this made me cry, I am ashamed to admit I cried during the shameless gesture the supposed best friend did for his mate’s wife. It was too grand a gesture. And this flick paved the way for all the other holiday flicks that star a number of big-named actors (The Holiday, Valentine’s Day, New Year’s Eve, etc) whose stories intersect.
Other flicks that are worth mentioning:
Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
My Best Friend’s Wedding
She’s All That
A Walk to Remember
Sleepless in Seattle
You’ve Got Mail
Meet Joe Black
Never Been Kissed